Goals give you a starting point and a destination to reach. ... The process of writing your goals helps you clarify what you desire to do, understand the importance of pursuing them and commit yourself to making them happen. Goals have value only if they help you develop and improve yourself or others potential. Goals and objectives give you something to focus on. ... They provide direction and promote action towards goal-related activities. Goals also energize pupils challenging them to achieve set goals, show success and be rewarded for it.
Setting goals & targets gives you long-term vision and short-term motivation . It focuses your acquisition of knowledge, and helps you to organize your time and your resources so that you can make the most of everything. By setting realistic goals, an individual can maintain motivation and stick to established timelines, culminating in the successful completion of a goal.
To be successful, check your goals against ten steps to help ensure you accomplish them.
1. Belief. The first step to goal setting is to have absolute belief and faith in the process.
2. Visualize what you want.
3. Get it down!
6. Stay focused.
7. Plan of action.
8. No Time Like the Present.
1. Belief. The first step to goal setting is to have absolute belief and faith in the process. If you don’t believe you can absolutely transform and get to the end goal then you might as well forget about goal setting and do something else. If you are in doubt, look around you. Everything you can see began as a thought. Make your thoughts turn into reality.
2. Visualize what you want. Think of what you desire or where you want your talents to be a year from now. What changes have to take place? What do you need to know or learn? What emotional, personal, social or physical properties need to be addressed? The clearer you are with each of these dimensions will bring your vision into sharp focus. The clearer you are, the easier it will be to focus on making it happen.
3. Get it down! Writing down your goals is key to success. By writing down your goals, you become a creator. Failure to write down your goals often means you will forget them or won’t focus on them. Have them written down where you can see them every day.
4. Purpose. Knowing why you want to achieve your goals is powerful. Identifying the purpose of your goal helps you instantly recognize why you want that particular goal and whether it’s worth working toward. Knowing why you want something furnishes powerful motivation to see it through to the finish.
5. Commit. This might sound obvious to you but it’s a step that has disastrous consequences when it’s taken lightly. Write a few pages about why and how you are committing to each goal; why it’s important to you, what it means to you, why the outcome is necessary and what are you going to do to make it happen. Without strong commitment you aren’t likely to follow through.
6. Stay focused. By focusing on your goals, you manifest. You may not know how you’ll reach your goals but when you make a daily practice of focus, they become easier to reach. Having your goals written down somewhere where you will see them each day is a good idea. Your mind will notice that there is a discrepancy between where you are now and where you want to be which will create pressure to change. If you lose focus you can always bring it back. Without a regular practice of focusing on your goals you may be distracted by something.
7. Plan of action. Being really clear about what you want, knowing your purpose, writing your goals down, committing to them, and staying focused gives you the power of clarity to write down a list of action steps. You may not know all the steps ahead of time but you will know the next steps that take you in that direction. Having goals without a plan of action is like trying to complete a complex project without a project plan. Talk to your teachers, they have lots of ways to help you individually reach your best potential.
8. No Time Like the Present. To show how committed you are to your goals, think of something you can do right now that will get you moving toward fulfilling your goals. Even if it’s just a quick stretch/vocal warm up, do it now. You will be surprised how this simple step reinforces all the previous steps and gets you motivated and moving toward what you desire. If you are not motivated to do something right now, how are you going to get motivated tomorrow?
9. Accountability. To push through when things get tough, try and try again. It makes sense to have someone beside yourself who can provide valuable feedback at critical junctures, like your teachers,mentor, friends and family. Telling your friends and family about your goals may help you strive even more.
10. Review. Make it part of your day to review your goals and take action. This keeps your goals alive and top of mind. It’s a good time to convert the over all plan into discrete action steps that you can take throughout the week. It will also help you be aware if one goal feels stuck and you are over compensating on another goal.